One ness with God - Question #7 (cont'd)
Question #7 (continued) – Do we humbly seek and do God’s will?
If we answer Yes from this question of last week, the next question is… How do we know God’s will?
A pastor has suggested 5 factors to know/discern God’s will (think of the 5 fingers for quick recalls):
- The Holy Spirit dwells in our hearts (the thumb). Roman 8:9 – You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
- The Word tells us and shows us God’s will, direction and instructions (the index finger). 2Tim 3:16-17 – All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- The Circumstances in life when God opens and closes doors (the middle finger). Acts 16:6-7 – Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.
- Other Believers who care about us (the ring finger). 1Thess 5:11 – Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
- God’s still small voice (the little finger). 1Kings 19:12-13 – After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
To remember this study, please use your hand, repeat the 5 factors on your fingers and commit them to memory. They will help you to recall when you have a chance to share with people.